The magnificent Leaderfoot Viaduct was opened in October 1865 to carry the Berwickshire Railway, connecting Reston on the East Coast Main Line with St Boswells on the Waverley. Described as “immense” by Queen Victoria, it was engineered by Charles Jopp and Wylie & Peddie.
The 19 arches – each of 43 feet span – are of brickwork whilst the abutments, piers and walls are built from rustic-faced red sandstone. The line closed in 1965.
For more info read: